Coding Director (Facility)
– Bachelor's Degree; Associate's acceptable with CCS & (RHIT or RHIA)
– Coding Management in a level 1 trauma environment
Assumes accountability for the management, policies, procedures and operations of the Hospital Coding department. Accountable for the development, implementation and operations goals involving the medical record (including electronic medical record and related content.) Assumes responsibility for the development of goals, development and management of the budget; provision of quality services; and collaboration with other team members to continually improve services and support of the management team. Works in collaboration with other leaders to develop policies and procedures that support the department/program and provision of quality services throughout the organization. Leads, directs, monitors and is responsible for the successful operations of all aspects of Coding through a culture of compliance, ethics, integrity and performance. Works with centralized coding operations managers, HIM leadership within the health system to assure consistency of policies, procedures and operations across departments. Works closely with clinical, medical staff office and revenue cycle functions to ensure the integrity of the medical record and key performance indicators are maintained to support the organization's clinical and financial objectives.
– Engages mission, values, goals and philosophies to shape coding team goals for enterprise strategy. Leads hospital coding services to the entire organization in collaboration with senior Coding/HIM leadership. Plans, directs, and organizes the department to ensure uniformity of operations and adherence to standardized accrediting, regulatory, licensing and risk management procedures throughout the health system.
– Acts as liaison with medical staff to provide information and education pertaining to the medical record. Serves as a liaison for medical staff quality initiatives to understand and assist in addressing their data needs. Facilitates discussions with clinicians to gain their understanding/ consensus for the vision and direction of the enterprise electronic medical record.
– Assures coding processes and education programs are developed and implemented for the coding team, physicians and others. These include changing industry regulations and coding guidance, new technologies, new programs and services. Maintains knowledge of coding compliance regulations, standards and directives for government and regulatory agencies.
– Develops capital and operational budgets for existing or new services and programs. Routinely monitors, manages and controls budget, analyzing variances to report and/or take appropriate action, including labor/productivity planning improvements.
– Actively partners with clinical documentation, hospital quality and medical leadership to ensure documentation integrity supporting coding accuracy aligned with national benchmarks. Actively partners with key revenue cycle areas to identify and resolve issues impacting coding processes or denials, such as registration, CDM (Charge Description Master) and billing departments.
– Compiles, analyzes and trends coding data for accuracy/impact, such as pertinent reports through encoder or computer assisted coding (CAC) applications; collaborates with Revenue Cycle Analytics team for others through Epic. Prepares and delivers coding industry as well as internal quality or production trended data to key stakeholders, including senior leadership, physicians and coding professionals.
– Demonstrates and models change management principles to lead the coding team and key stakeholders in consistently adapting, applying and leveraging the EHR environment to serve business needs while meeting all regulatory agency and coding compliance requirements .
– Serves as an integral resource with senior Coding/HIM leadership, the coding management team and all customers. Partners with planning, leadership and direction on pertinent initiatives, including to facilitate key meetings and establish both baseline and future state metrics measuring performance effectiveness, solution implementation, etc.
– Responsible for appropriate staffing levels and preventing backlogs through metrics and production standards/goals to ensure timely processes while adhering to quality and accuracy benchmarks. Holds ultimate accountability for staff recruitment, interviewing, hiring, work performance, retention, performance planning, disciplinary action and/or termination, in consultation with Human Resources. Mentors, coaches and develops staff, acting as a role model and resource.
Apply with Github Apply with Linkedin Apply with Indeed